Saturday, August 13, 2011

Why does WW work for me?

I've been asked this question by a few people, mostly in my WW meeting, including my leader.

I once said to her, "when I follow the plan, the weight seems to come off pretty easily."

I've been reading the WW boards lately, and thinking about this very topic.  I think I may have come to some conclusions/insights as to why it seems to work for me, so far at least (I'm not superstitious, but I don't want to jinx anything either, lol).

1.  I eat every single one of my Daily Points Allowance, as well as my Weekly Points Allowance.  If I earned Activity Points - I'd eat every one of those too.  Occasionally I'll have 2-3 of my WPA leftover on a Monday night (I get weighed on Tuesday, and my week begins on Tuesday).   If I don't eat the vast majority of them, I don't lose weight.

There are many people that don't and can't eat all of their Daily and Weekly Points Allowances - according to them, they will not lose (or even gain) if they do.  I think it has more to do with what they are using their points on, rather than the fact that they are eating them. 

2.  I am not a big fan of bread (of any type), so therefore, I do not eat a lot of it.  When I do want bread, I want good bread.  My bread of choice is Arnold Oat Nut bread.  It is 3P+ per slice of bread.  A 16-slice loaf of bread lasts me between two and three weeks.  I have started freezing it in 4-slice packages so that it won't go bad and get moldy.  I also enjoy portuguese muffins, grilled in a pan with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic bread spread.  On the rare occasion I have a hot dog or hamburger, I prefer Martin's Potato Rolls.  I've decided I'm no longer going to eat food that I don't actually like.  It's just not worth the points for it.  Will I eat other breads/rolls if I'm at someone's house.....usually, but in my own home I buy what I prefer.

3.  I eat a lot of protein at meals.  I usually have four or five ounces of protein at every meal.  If I don't, I don't stay satisfied as long.  I love eggs.  I probably eat them 5 or 6 days a week.  My egg of choice is Eggland's Best eggs.  They have more vitamins than regular eggs, and two of them are only 3 P+.  I eat two at a time.  I also have lo-fat maple sausages with them most of the time.  I fry them in 1/3tsp of butter if I'm making fried eggs.  If I do scrambled or an omelette, they are still cooked in 1/3tsp of butter, usually with 1/3cup Jimmy Dean Sausage Crumbles mixed in, instead of the maple sausages. 

4.  I drink/eat a lot of non-fat dairy.  I drink between 4.5 and 6 cups of skim milk every day.  I love it, I always have.  It is 2 P+ per cup, and I'm perfectly ok with using up to 12 of my daily points for milk.  I experimented a little while ago, and unless I have milk with every meal, I do not stay satisfied as long.  Some meals I have 2 cups, others 1.5 cups - it really depends on what I feel like.  I also eat a non-fat Chobani yogurt most nights as part of my snack.  If you never thought you could like Greek yogurt - I urge you to give Chobani a try!  In most stores, it's around $1, and that's not much to try something new.  I never thought I'd like greek yogurt, until a friend urged me to try it.  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM is all I can say to that!

5.  I don't deprive myself of anything I really want.  I am fortunate, that a bite or two is usually enough to satisfy most cravings.  I can eat one or two really good french fries without inhaling the whole container.  I can take one bite of a candy bar, without eating the rest of it.  I love nuts, and have started having 1/2 - 1 ounce of nuts most nights with my snack.  Satisfaction occurs in the stomach, as well as in the brain, in most cases.  I know I'm in the minority as far as the cravings-thing goes.  I really wish I could explain it better.  When I'm eating the proper portion and types of food, I just don't crave "junky" and overprocessed foods.

6.  Most of my daily and weekly points are used on real, actual food.  Very little of them are used on junk food.  Yes, I do have a piece of cake when it's a birthday, and occasionally will order dessert in a restaurant, but not very often.  I've also noticed that I'm just as satisfied with a half serving of cake/dessert/etc, as I am with a full serving.  I have one ice cream that I absolutely love....it's Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip.  I don't like other mint chocolate chips - they just never taste right.  Breyer's is all Natural, and there's not artificial green coloring in the mint ice cream.  It's white.  It's the best I've ever tasted!


~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment