Thursday, December 15, 2011

Powerful Foods

That was this week's topic at my WW Meeting.  More specifically....Simply Filling Technique.  The concept of this is quite simple, really, it's based around the WW Powerfoods, and is VERY similar to the old Core Plan that I tried last time I was a WW Member.  Rather than counting Points for everything you eat, you only count points for foods that are not a PowerFood.  To do that, you are given the weekly Allowance of 49 Points to use on non-PowerFood foods.  In addition, you do not have to count your two teaspoons of healthy oil.

I have found lately that I tend to be eating more and more of the PowerFoods than non-PowerFoods.  I've also noticed that there are weeks that I will go over my Daily Points and my Weekly Points and still lose weight.  Looking back - most of my food those weeks were PowerFoods.  After learning more about Simply Filling it all kind of makes sense. 

I've been toying with the idea of trying Simply Filling but didn't really know enough about it to go ahead and try it.  I'm glad that was the topic of this week's meeting.  So, in this week's tracker, I've decided to keep track of what I'm eating and seeing what the difference in Weekly Points would be if I were doing Simply Filling rather than counting points.  So far (2 days in) I've noticed something quite interesting.....the amount of Points I would have counted on Simply Filling is not that much different than the Weekly Points I've used normally (within 1 or 2 a day).  Still not sure if I'm going to try Simply Filling......having to count everything sometimes keeps me in check with my eating.

I have decided, that should I try Simply Filling I'm going to modify it a bit for me.  You see....the oatmeal I eat for breakfast every day is Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal, and it is not a PowerFood.  Plain, no sugar added, unflavored oatmeal IS a PowerFood.  I looked at the boxes in the store of many different oatmeals and none of them have the amount of protein in them that the Quaker WC one does, and the Quaker WC has less sugar than some of them do.  So, I've decided to count the Quaker WC as a PowerFood for Simply Filling and limit myself to one packet a day.

I've also decided that the Chobani greek yogurt that I eat, I'm going to count one a day as a PowerFood.  Again, there is so much protein in one of them, compared to regular plain fat-free yogurt.  If I eat a second one in the same day, I will use my Weekly Points and count it.

Those are really the only two changes I am going to make.  Simply because in order for plain oatmeal or plain yogurt to be palatable to me, I'd have to add so much into it that I'd end up counting the same amount of points for it as the flavored.

I am also trying to do this with as little artificially sweetened foods as possible.  I know I eat a lot of them, probably more than I should.  The water I drink everyday is flavored/sweetened with Splenda, and I'm sure there's other stuff I'm eating also (I just can't think of them right now, lol).

I've also been thinking about the 26Points that are supposed to be my new Daily Target.  I upped it back to 29 because I am hungry a lot, and eat quite frequently.  After some research (and detailed tracking for a few weeks), my leader and I have determined that I'm just one of those people that it doesn't take a lot of food to satisfy me at any one time (I don't like feeling full after eating), and therefore I need to eat every 3 to 4 hours to stay satisfied.  I'm not eating a lot of junk, in fact, very little of what I eat is junk.  I'd say that 99% of the Points that I eat in a week are used on healthy food.

I've also been thinking about adding activity to my daily 'schedule'.  Not sure yet how or where it's gonna go, as my days seem pretty full already, and walking in the dark after work is not a good idea alone.  I've been looking into water aerobics but it's tough to find an affordable place around that has it.  I'm going to keep trying to figure this out.

So this week I lost another pound, so my total loss is now 84lbs.

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment