Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Food Anxiety

I've been a little anxious the last few days, about Christmas.  More specifically, Christmas Dinner.  I know....it's only one meal, but for me I guess it's important. 

It was decided that we are going to my brother's for Christmas this year.  Ok, no big deal - he lives about 10 minutes away.  Him and his fiancee were over the other night for dinner and we started talking about Christmas and they happened to mention what they were cooking.  I honestly believe the only thing I want to eat is the turkey and corn (unless there's butter on it).  I can't even remember all that they are making, because I started tuning out when everything sounded fat-ladden.  So, what are they making?  Here's what I can remember:

Turkey (roasted, not deep-fried THANK GOD!)
Stuffing (which in and of itself isn't so bad, but I've chosen to not eat Soy and pretty much all stuffing has it)
Green Bean Casserole (I make a version with caramelized onions instead of the French's fried onions, and don't think I can stomach the fried ones)
Yam Balls (not sure what's in them, but they sounded highly fattening)
Mashed Potatoes (with sour cream and cream cheese - they are not so delicious, they made them a few weeks ago)
Fried Pickles (I believe deep fried)

In addition, I believe every pie known to man is going to be there: Pumpkin, Pecan, Apple, and a few others.  Did I mention, there's only FOUR of us that are going to be there?  Five pies for four people...REALLY?!?!?!?!   It's actually disgusting me that there's so much dessert for the four of us.  Plus, she's all excited (my brother's fiancee) to be setting out "munchies" for before dinner.  Blah!  Who needs extra munchies with all that food!

I even tried asking if I could bring the Green Bean Casserole, since they were cooking so much food.  Nope, they're all set, already bought everything.  Ugh!  I shouldn't be so annoyed but I am. 

I feel like I have no choice in what I'm eating, except to not eat.  I have not said anything because I don't feel other people should accomodate me if I'm going to live and eat in the real world.  I will, however, say something if there is butter all over the corn!  I don't put butter on anything.  I cook with it, but that's it.  I don't feel it improves the flavor of food - it just hides it behind butter flavor - which I don't like.  In fact, I may bring my own can of corn and peas with me just in case, then I can heat them up in his microwave.

I may also buy a fruit platter to bring.  I thought of a shrimp ring, but she's allergic to shellfish - so that's out.

I hate hate hate having to rely on someone else for virtually everything I'm going to eat. 

My WW meeting is tomorrow, and I may have to bring this up and see what everyone else has to say about it.  It's making me quite anxious - much more than I should be.  I hate that it's becoming about the food.  It should be about spending time with my family and not about the food.  I'm the type of person that needs to plan everything out, so for me, it ends up being about the food. 

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment