Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cycling Preperation

So yesterday, after deciding on my reward for reaching goal, I started getting really really excited about it, and getting back to cycling.

Looking online at different cycling stuff at REI, I decided I wanted a hydration pack for long rides (easier to deal with than a water bottle, and holds a lot more water).  They come in different capacities: 50oz, 70oz and 100oz.  Me, being me, wants the biggest available, the 100oz, lol.  I figure, it doesn't hurt to have more water than possibly needed.  I looked at the REI website and the LL Bean website to see what was available and at what cost.  It seeme the average price for these is approx $1/oz of water capacity.  Some are a little more, some a little less...mostly dependant on other features of the pack.  I did only look at Camelbak brand, since I have one on of their filtering water bottles and love it! 

I decided that I really wanted to try them on to see how the different ones fit, and to make sure the one I buy fits properly.  I just so happen to have some LL Bean gift certificates from Christmas, so LL Bean was my first option.  There just so happens to be an LLBean Outlet about 20 minutes from where I work, so guess wehre I went after work yesterday?  LL Bean!!  There were only a few hydration packs there (it is an Outlet, so they mostly have returned items and close-outs), and one was 100oz.  Now, I prefer the color blue and had wanted a blue pack, HOWEVER, I am flexible on that and know a good deal when I see it. 

Well....let me tell you.....the outlet had a 100oz hydration pack for $75!  The original price of this one was $115!  It is white, black and gray, and looks quite nice.  I tried it on an it seemed to fit fine.  They told me that if, after riding with it for a while, it becomes uncomfortable, that I can return it with no problem - woohoo!!!!  I briefly thought of the consequences of a WHITE pack....but then decided that any and all dirt/dinginess that it shows are 'badges of honor' so to speak....evidence that I am actually USING the pack.   :)

While browsing the rest of the store (because, really...who DOESN'T like browsing in LL Bean?!?!), I found a pair of cycling gloves with gel padding on the palms of them.  They were marked down to $25 (orig $30) and...MATCHED the hydration pack!  Needless to say, I bought them, lol.  Sooooo....it's kind of like getting the gloves free, lol.

Once the helmet gets delivered, I will post a picture of all my new gear together!!

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment