Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Activity.....Take 2

Ok, so I had NO idea that this week's meeting topic was going to be Activity, when I posted yesterday, lol!!!

I did some more thinking yesterday and last night, and I REALLY want to start riding my bike more.  After my meeting I usually stop at Whole Foods on my way to work.  Whole Foods just happens to be across the street from REI.  So, I did a quick trip through Whole Foods (I only have about 30-40 minutes to shop before I have to head to work), and then went to REI.  I found someone to help me with the bike helmets.  We found the same style I had seen online so that I could try it on.  I wanted to try it on in the store with someone that knew what they were doing because I've never really owned a helmet and have no idea how they are supposed to fit.  We got it adjusted and the wonderful salesman said it fit great.  Fantastic!!  They didn't have the color I wanted (fit is most important, but asthetics are second!), so they ordered it for me, shipped free to my house!  I should have it by the 16th - Yeah!  I also joined the REI Members "thing" and got 20% off the price of my helmet!

I also took a quick look around since I had a few minutes to spare and was looking at the Camelbak hydration packs.  They only have the 70 and 100oz ones in the store.  I asked the salesman (his name was Ken, from the Cranston RI store) if there was any real difference between the differently priced ones except for the capacity, and he said the basic differences are fit and capacity.  So, I will have to go try them on when I'm ready to shell out the money for them ($85 for 70oz and $100 for 100oz).  I was given a 20% coupon for REI Outlet (and I think it's good online too, but not sure) for becoming an REI Member, so I may look online for discounted hydration packs and take my chances on fit. 

I'm one more step closer to actually getting on the bike.....now I need to bring it to find out why the baskets on the back caused the wheel to get skewed and rub against the bike frame.  I took a quick look at frames and panniers online this afternoon.  I found some I like, but it's going to end up over $100 to get them and the frame for them.  We'll see.  Hopefully the basket situation on my bike can be resolved for less than that.

I also found this great website  - http://www.mapmyride.com/  You can put in street routes and it will tell you how far you've gone!  It's awesome!  I put in some routes that I like to see how long they are.  You can also go in after riding them and put in how long it took you to ride them.  There is an app for the phone also, so I downloaded that and will play with it later tonight.

I'm getting very excited about this!  I looked at different routes and will post about those later!

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment