Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Anchor

This week's topic at my WW Meeting was "anchors."  What they are and what their importance is and how they can help us.

What is an anchor?   

To me, an anchor is something that keeps you focused, determined, and keeps you from straying too far off course.  I was curious, so looked up the definition in Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary.   Merriam-Webster has many definitions for 'anchor' in it's online dictionary, however, there are two that pertain closely to what WW is getting at: 
                   
                            : a reliable or principal support : mainstay
                            : something that serves to hold an object firmly
 
 
I learned that an anchor can be a thing, a memory, a motto, or anything else you want it to be.  It's completely up to each individual to decide if a) they have/want an anchor and b) what their anchor is.  There were many ideas shared during my meeting: a certain ring, a particular necklace, daily inspiration emails, etc.
 
It started me thinking......do I have an anchor?  It turns out, in fact, that I have several anchors.  Some are actual items that I can touch and put my hands on, and the other is a memory.
 
A few months ago I ran across my 100lb Award Certificate from the last time I did WW.  It's actually signed by my current leader.  I am very excited to get back to 100lbs lost and knowing I have that certificate, knowing I was able to accomplish it once, has helped to keep me focused and on plan.  I am planning to bring it with me when I hit 100lbs lost again.  I am very much looking forward to showing it to my leader when I get my new one.  I am also looking forward to showing the members in my meeting that it can be done....it can be done more than once, but it is certainly hard work getting there again.
 
About the time I hit the 100lb lost milestone last time, I was out shopping and found this fantastic outfit at DressBarn.  I LOVED it, it was totally a "me" outfit.  It is a skirt and sleeveless top, white with fushia flowers on it.  I have it hanging in my closet where it's visible every time I go in there.  I never was able to fit into it last time, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to wear it this time!  Originally, the plan was to wear it when I got to goal.  I don't know at what point in this journey it will fit, but when it does, I'm wearing it!
 
My last anchor is a memory.  A very fond memory, and one I don't think I'll ever forget.  I was out to dinner with some friends, and a very dear friend of mine, in the midst of our conversation, said that I was skinny.  The conversation was not about me losing weight (though the friend knew I had lost 100lbs), and the remark was said non-chalantly, but did not go unnoticed by me at all!  It's the first (and only) time I've been called skinny in my entire life.  I love the feeling I get when I think of the memory and re-live it.  I shared it today in my meeting, and was close to crying it was making me so happy to remember it.  My voice started quivering and I had to pause a moment to continue.  I won't name the person here, but you know who you are (I hope! lol) and I thank you dearly for the comment.  I'm not quite sure you'll ever know how much it meant to me. :)
 
~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment