Thursday, March 29, 2012

Free Food, Take 2

This is sort of a follow-up to a previous post about Free Food at work.  One of the ladies here at work is retiring at the end of March, and Friday is her last day.  They had a luncheon for her yesterday which was very nice.  From my understanding, she's been with the company over 30 years!

The luncheon was catered from a local place called The Pasta House.  I went there years ago with my parents and Memere (grandmother for those non-french people) and remember it being ok.  Apparently is has new owners, and the food yesterday was amazing.  They had rolls, a salad with oil/vinegar dressing, delmonico potatoes, chicken/pasta with a red wine sauce and mushrooms, chicken/pasta with a clear sauce, baked scrod, green beans almondine and some kind of beef. 

I had brought my lunch yesterday because I didn't know if I would want to eat the food that was provided.  I decided to play it by ear and eat when I got hungry....if that was at 10am, I'd eat what I brought and enjoy people's company at the luncheon....if I didn't get hungry before the luncheon then I would make good choices at the luncheon knowing I had food at my desk if I didn't want to eat what was provided.  I got hungry at 11:30, lol, and since we were heading upstairs for the luncheon at 11:45 I chose to latter route. 

I did not take any salad or roll, I don't really like either one.  I passed on the potatoes.  I did not know what kind of potatoes they were at the time, but they were in a creamy white sauce and I decided I probably wouldn't like them anyway (not big on sauces).  I took a small amount of each chicken (4-5 2-bite pieces of each) and approx 1/4-1/2c of penne pasta.  I took a serving of the fish and scraped the breading off of it, and took some of the green beans even though they were quite shiny!  I passed on the beef - it looked dry.  I took my time eating what I chose and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was quite surprised when I was finished that I was not still hungry.

There was, of course, cake and desserts also.  Since I am not a big sweets eater (and the more often I eat them, the more often I crave them), I passed on both the cake and the desserts.  The cake did look nice and moist though.

I figured I'd be hungry later since it didn't seem like I ate a lot of food for lunch, but to my surprise I did not get hungry until about 4:30!


There was a ton of food leftover from yesterday's luncheon, so the R&D team heated up the leftovers in the kitchen upstairs and brought them down to the small kitchen we have downstairs in the office.  The receptionist sent out an email about the leftovers being in the kitchen and a wave of people descended on the kitchen.  Please don't assume I sit and watch the kitchen all day long - I don't, I just happen to notice these things. 

I brought my lunch today, as usual, and have been enjoying the food I brought from home.  I woke up with a sore throat this morning so have been sipping hot peppermint tea (with some water flavor sticks added to it) all day in an attempt to soothe it.  It may or may not be working, we'll see, lol.  Taking the Mucinex, however, usually kills my appetite and I was pleasently surprised when I got hungry at 9:30! 

I ate a smaller breakfast than normal today, so that may be why also.  I usually cook up three eggs and put them in my travel mug with some potatoes or black beans.  There were two eggs left in the carton this morning and I was too lazy to get the other carton out, so only cooked two eggs, lol.  I'll try to remember to take a picture of my mug with eggs in it. :)

I am going to a middle school band concert tonight (after work) that my friend Muffin's son is playing in, and I don't know when I'll be eating a normal supper, so I brought a ton of food with me today:
                    2 cup container of sliced spiral ham
                    2 bananas
                    2 chobani yogurts
                    2 apples
                    1 cup container of sliced frozen peaches
                    2 servings of baked oatmeal
                    various GNU and Thatsit fruit bars
                    gallon bag of air-popped popcorn (sprayed with olive oil and dusted with cheese flavoring)

The bars I will bring in to the concert with me in case I get hungry while I'm there.  We're getting there at 6:30 and it starts at 7.  I suspect it will get over sometime between 8 and 9. 

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment