Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 47: A few new recipes

Breakfast was a bowl of Cheerios (5P+) and two cups of milk (4P+), total of 9 Points Plus.

I got creative and tried some new recipes today.  I absolutely love the coconut rice at Friday's, but I do not love the points for it.  I also don't think it's available anymore.  So, I decided to try to make my own.  I looked online for some recipes and found one that I thought I could handle.  It was jasmine rice and lite coconut milk (the kind in the can).  I used a rice cooker, because bad things happen when I try to make rice on a stove.  The recipe I found was 2 cups of jasmine rice, one 14oz can of lite coconut milk, and enough water to bring it to the right level in the rice cooker.  For my rice cooker (and I believe all models vary slightly), the rice ended up being 3 full rice measures (my cooker came with a measuring cup for the cooker).  Once my cooker is done, it switches to 'warm' and sits for 15 minutes before the rice is done. 

It smelled absolutely wonderful in the kitchen while it was cooking!  It tasted pretty good too, but was not wet like the one at Friday's was.  But it had a very nice coconut taste to it, so I was happy.  Good thing - cause it made 6 cups of rice!  Since I usually eat rice a half cup at a time, it will last a while, lol.  I may use it in a stir fry to use some up.  I will attempt it again.  Next time I think I will use two measures of rice, the same can of lite coconut milk, and then water to bring it to the right level.  I think there will be more coconut flavor this way.  I am also going to check it when the cooker switches to 'warm'.  I think it will be wetter and more like what I was expecting this time.

To go with the awesome coconut rice, I made a chicken satay using a sauce packet I bought.  It was chicken thighs cut up and fat removed, sliced celery and the packet of sauce (very low sodium too!). 

I also decided that roasted acorn squash sounded good.  Yeah.....I don't always eat the foods you'd think go together.  I took an acorn squash, cut it in half and scooped out the seeds and stuff.  Then rubbed each half with a half tablespoon of butter, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and drizzled each with a tablespoon of real maple syrup.  Cover and bake on 400 for 30 minutes, take foil cover off and bake another 30-45 minutes, depending on how you like your squash.  I scooped out the squash meat and the liquid and mixed them together in a bowl and ate the entire thing, lol.

So, lunch was one serving of the chicken satay (7P+), a half cup of the coconut rice (3P+), a half acorn squash (2P+) and two cups of skim milk (4P+) for a total of 16 Points Plus for lunch.





















Dinner was decidedly un-creative compared to lunch, lol.  I had two Van de Kamp's frozen fish fillets (5P+), some of the macaroni salad from the other day (2P+) and two cups of milk (4P+) for a total of 11 Points Plus.

So, today I ate 36 Points Plus, using 1 of my Weekly Points Plus Allowance, leaving me with 36 for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment