Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day 19: Christmas Day

So, the big day has arrived....Christmas Day!   Complete with all the goodies that go with it.  I have been trying to save my weekly points for this weekend.  I know there are a lot of high-point value foods around at Christmastime, and I love them, so planned ahead so that I could enjoy them without overdoing it on them. 

I decided it was a good idea to start with having breakfast, so that I wouldn't be starving and tempted to eat all the appetizer-type food that is usually out when we arrive where we are going.  I decided to indulge a little bit on Christmas.  I had a portuguese muffin (5pts) grilled in a pan on the stove (in one tsp butter, 1pt), two cups of milk (4pts) and a banana....a total of 9 points.

After breakfast, we headed off to my brother's house to exchange gifts with him, then head over to some friends of the family for dinner.  We arrived, and of course, there were all kinds of appetizers: taco dip, tortilla chips, cranberry bread, and a few others I don't remember.  Normally I would have dug right in, but wanted to save my appetite and points for dinner.  Instead of hanging around the kitchen to help with dinner, a bunch of us decided to go play a new game one of the kids got: Scene-It Nickelodeon version.  Each adult paired up with a kid, so it kind of made it fair, lol.  By the time we were done playing, dinner was on the table!

So what did the dinner consist of?  LOTS of food!  I had some salad (0pts) and about three tablespoons of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (6pts).  I absolutely LOVE Hidden Valley Ranch, but don't eat it a lot because it's high in calories, etc..., but decided it was Christmas and I was going to have some foods I don't eat all the time.  I also had approximately three ounces of prime rib (all visible fat trimmed, 5 pts), about a cup of mashed potatoes (6pts), some green beans, and about two ounce of ham (2pts).  So, dinner wasn't so bad at 19 points.

Dessert, on the other hand....there were tons of dessert!!!  Blueberry pie, cherry pie, squash pie, pumpkin pie, coconut custard pie, brownies, cupcakes, cookies, and lemon squares.  I did not eat some of everything, lol.  I had some of what I really liked, and that I don't get to eat very often.  I had made the cupcakes, so I knew how many points those were (16 each!!!).  I used melted white chocolate in them, and the frosting, so that contributed to the high points, lol.  I split a cupcake with someone (8pts) because I couldn't stomach the thought of eating 16 points for one dessert!  The eight points were well worth it though, that cupcake was heaven!  I also had one serving of blueberry pie (one eighth of the pie, 5pts), a small brownie (2pts) and a peanut butter kiss cookie (3pts).  So, desserts totaled 18 points....and at least they were less points that the real food I ate!  lol.    Dessert was a few hours after dinner, so the food from dinner had a chance to settle and start digesting.

Got home, and later last night I was hungry for real food.  I thought about what would I like that would fill me up and keep me from being hungry later.  Oatmeal!!  I love oatmeal, so decided to have two packets of oatmeal (6pts) with some frozen fruit in it, and two cups of milk to drink (4pts), for a total of 10 points.  I love putting the frozen fruit (unthawed in the microwave first) in the oatmeal, it gives it such a nice taste! 

So, how did I do?  Not bad as far as I'm concerned.  Going into Christmas Day, I realized it's more important to be conscious of what I'm eating, than to get the exact number of points correct.  I did do my best as estimating portions and such, and feel I did pretty good.

I ended up eating a total of 56 points (yes, 56!), using 20 of my weekly points.  That leaves me with 21 weekly points for Sunday through Monday.  I do not expect to use them all, but we'll see what happens.

I was supposed to go to a friend's house today to exchange gifts, etc.... but a snowstorm has put a damper on that.  We may get together tomorrow if the snowstorm is a flop though.

No comments:

Post a Comment