Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 4: It pays to read

Well.....I baked the french toast this morning.  It ended up pretty much burnt.  I failed to read the recipe closely enough....it used sliced french bread, not regular bread.  Might also be why there didn't seem to be enough egg mixture last night.  Good thing I didn't get my heart set on french toast, lol, since there was now no more bread left.

I ended up making scrambled eggs.  I searched the fridge for something to add to the eggs, and found an onion and some grape tomatoes.  There were shredded carrots (pre-shredded from the store), but didn't think those would cook right.  So I took out the onion and chopped a little bit of it, and sliced some of the grape tomatoes.  Heated up the pan, put in 1 tsp of butter (1pt), and cooked the onions until they were translucent, then tossed the sliced tomatoes in for a min or so.  I fork whipped 2 Eggland's Best eggs (4pts) with 1/4 cup of skim milk (1pt) and some salt and pepper.  Then poured the eggs into the pan.  I had the heat on low, and when the edges started to set on the eggs, I stirred the cooked portion into the pan with a wooden spoon.  I kept doing this until the eggs were cooked to my liking.  They seemed a little watery, but I think that might have been the tomatoes.  I had 2 cups of skim milk (4pts) to drink with my eggs for a total of 10 points for breakfast.  The eggs were really good!!  I usually always put ketchup on scrambled eggs, and after taking a few bites of these eggs, I put the ketchup back in the fridge!

I decided to try a different approach to lunch and dinner today.  I cooked a meal for lunch, and heated up some leftovers for dinner.  I find that when dinner time comes around, I don't feel like cooking, but around lunchtime I didn't feel that way.  So, for lunch I cooked up some haddock fillets on a bed of leeks, tomatoes and carrots and baked it in the oven.  It is not my own recipe, I found it here.  I used about half the fish called for in the recipe, but still used all the vegetable mixture because I didn't think the fish would cook right in the pan if it had less.  I now have half the veg mixture left, lol.  One haddock fillet (approx 1/2 lb, pre-cooking weight) and 1/4 of the veg mixture was 6 points per the Recipe Builder on the WW ETools.  I also had a half cup mashed potatoes (3pts), and 1/2 cup Green Giant broccoli and cheese, bringing my points to 10 for lunch.  I had water to drink and a clementine afterwards.  It all tasted awesome!  I saved the leftover broccoli and cheese to add to some scrambled eggs :)

Here is a picture of what my plate looked like:

clockwise from top left: mashed potatoes, leek/tomato/carrot,
haddock, broccoli & cheese


For dinner I decided to head up some pancakes that were leftover in the fridge.  I figured out the points using the food look up on the online WW Tracker.  It was going to be 8 points for 2 pancakes, and another 6 points for 1/4 cup of syrup.  This would have left me with very little (or no) points for milk to have with the pancakes, or a snack later on.  So I started thinking and came to the conclusion that maybe it was too much food if it was going to leave me no points (and possibly exceed my daily target).  As I've mentioned, I get hungry at night and have chosen to save some points for a snack.

In light of the point situation, I decided to have one pancake (4pts), 2 tablespoons of blackberry jam that I melted in the microwave (3pts) and 2 cups of skim milk (4pts).  I figured, if I was still hungry afterwards, I could have the other pancake and count it.  I didn't have the second one, so my dinner ended up being 11 points.

 As you can see, the pancake and jelly was delicious!



I felt like snacking/munching later on, so I popped a bag of microwave popcorn.  It is one of the Orville Redenbacher's mini-bags, so it was only 3 points.  I also counted 2 points for small bites of the cake truffles I was making today (for quality control reasons). 

All this adds up to 36 points for today.  My target is 37 points per day.  This leaves me with 1 point for the day, which I'm fine with not eating, since I may have mis-estimated the amount of cake bites.

I have to say that I've noticed that I think a lot more about the food I'm going to eat than I did the last time I joined WW.  My thoughts seem to be directed at choices I can make now that will help me in the long run.  Like 'quality over quantity' from yesterday, for example.

Tomorrow is the party at my cousin's, which is what I've been saving my weekly allowance points for, since I don't know what is being served.  I plan to make educated decisions based on the knowledge I can get about the foods served.  Be sure to tune in tomorrow night to see how I do!

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment