Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Week 2: Weigh-In Day

Yesterday was a pretty busy day, so I didn't get a chance to blog last night - sorry!

Since it was weigh-in day, I did not have breakfast before I left home.  I know....it's a bad idea, I totally agree!  I, however, can't wrap my head around eating before getting weighed...I just can't do it.  I get weighed with sneakers on, but can't seem to eat first, lol. 

I did, however, bring something to eat after getting weighed.  I neglected to do this last week and was plagued with a wicked headache the rest of the day!  Yet another reason why waiting to eat is a bed idea!  I brought one of the breakfast muffins (5pts) that I made with me, along with two cups of milk (4pts), for a total breakfast (at noon!) of 9 points.  I realized while eating the muffin, that although it is good and somewhat filling, oatmeal would be a much better choice, and taste a lot better.  I was heading out shopping after the meeting, and added a soup thermos to my list so that I could bring hot oatmeal with me next week (more on this later!).

After the meeting, I headed out to go shopping.  By the time I got to the stores (about an hour later) I was hungry again (this would not have happened with oatmeal), so I went to Subway and had a Veggie Delite 6" sub on Honey Oat bread (7pts) and had water to drink. 

So, I started my search for a soup thermos while in Target.  They had travel mugs for coffee and such, but nothing suitable for oatmeal or soup.  I got a little frustrated while in the store trying to find a soup thermos...probably because I was tired.  I ended up at Stop & Shop and they had a few varieties to choose from.



First was a snack container from Thermos.  It looked cute, but when I opened it, it looked REALLY small inside!  I read the tag and it claimed it held 8oz.  Definitely not big enough for two packets of oatmeal with fruit mixed in.  





Second was another offering from Thermos brand.  It looked like a typical thermos like I had in elementary school, but it claimed to have a wide mouth.  So I opened it, and it, too, looked small in capacity.  Label claimed 10oz.  At double the price of the 8oz, I'd just as soon get two 8oz containers!




After searching for a while, I found this container from StayFit.  It holds just under three cups. Perfect for oatmeal!!  And was only $7! Much better than $6 or $12 for the Thermos brands.

 We'll see how long it keeps the oatmeal hot.  It only needs to keep it for an hour or so, so I'm hoping it does that.  If not, I have the receipt and it's going back.  

So, for dinner last night, I was in the mood for soup and grilled cheese.  I had purchased some Cambell's Healthy Request Tomato Soup, foolishly thinking it would be healthier than the regular Campbell's Tomato Soup (silly me!).  I got home, and compared it to the can of regular tomato soup I had (should have done that in the store), and found it it's not really that much healthier!  It has 70mg less sodium (410mg vs 480mg) and 4.5g more of fat!!  The original had NONE!  I was peeved!  Teach me to look at labels in the store before buying something!

Anyway, the can is 2.5 servings, which I calculated the points on the can having two servings, because I don't need a half serving hanging around.  I made it with skim milk, and then a teaspoon of butter melted into my bowl before eating it (5pts).  I made a half grilled cheese sandwich to go with it: one slice of Arnold oatnut bread (3pts), two slices of Kraft Singles (4pts) and cooked it in a teaspoon of butter (1pt).  I had two cups of milk to drink with it (4pts) and enjoyed a quarter cup of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream afterwards (2pts).  Dinner ended up 20 points.  

On the upside, I was not hungry later, so there was no snack had.  I ended the day having eaten all of my 36 points and using none of my weekly points.

No comments:

Post a Comment