Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 3: Quality? Quantity? Which is better?

So, today was a pretty good day.  After yesterday's less-than-spectacular breakfast on the go, I decided to find something I could make for such mornings.  I found a recipe for breakfast muffins in a book I was reading (the Hannah Swenson books by Joanne Fluke).  I took 'Aunt Grace's Breakfast Muffins' recipe from the Sugar Cookie Murder book, and modified it slightly.  I will hopefully be making them tomorrow (need to go get a few ingredients first), and will post the recipe if they turn out good. 

The first time I followed Weight Watchers, I kind of took on the philosophy of 'quantity over quality.'  I found the lowest point foods of what I like, so that I could eat the most.  It's taken a while, but I've realized it should be 'quality over quantity.'  The better the quality of the food, the more nutrition and satisfaction you will get from it.  I really noticed it tonight when I was thinking about making french toast for breakfast tomorrow, and started figuring out how many points it would be for what I usually make.  I usually whip up 1 egg, a splash of milk and 4 slices of Arnold Oatnut Bread.  I have issues with soggy food, so I don't usually soak the bread in the egg mixture for very long.  It was close to half my daily points for that breakfast, so I started thinking if there were ways to lower the points and still be satisfied. 

So, I mixed up a mixture of 1 egg, 1/4 cup of milk, sprinkle of sugar, little bit of syrup, and 4 slices of bread - but for 2 servings.  I put the bread slices in a 9x13 pan, poured the mixture over it, and am chilling it overnight, then will bake it in the oven tomorrow morning.  It will be 4 points a slice this way, and I feel that 2 slices will be quite satisfying.  There wasn't quite as much mixture to pour over the bread as I thought there would be, so next time I will increase the milk to 1/2 cup, which will bring it to 4.5 points per slice (9pts for 2 slices).  Couple that with 2 glasses of milk (I love my milk!) and it should be a good breakfast.

This morning I had a bowl of Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Toasted cheerio-like cereal.  I had 2 servings with a cup of milk, for a total of 8 points.  After breakfast I did some dishes and attempted to get ready to spend the day baking.  Turns out I had some other stuff to attend to first, and didn't get finished until almost 2pm.  By then I was hungry for lunch, so I had the rest of the shrimp ring  from the other day (6pts), a half cup of leftover Pasta Roni (4pts) and a cup of greenbeans that were cooked with bacon and onions (2pts) for a total of 12 points for lunch.

I had to go pick my car up tonight, and ended up eating out at Panera Bread.  I looked up on their website for nutrition information so that I could plan what I was going to have to eat.  I ended up choosing a bowl of their broccoli & cheddar soup (7pts) and a piece of their whole grain baguette (4pts), and water to drink for a total of 11 points for dinner.

Once I got home, I still had a few cakes to bake for the weekend, so went ahead and mixed them up and baked them.  By the time they were done and cooling, I was hungry again.  I had a packet of Quaker Weight Control oatmeal (3pts), a packet of the pre-sliced apples that I chopped up and put in the oatmeal (0pts) and 2 cups of milk (4pts) for a total of 7 points for my snack.  I also counted 2 points for small tastes that I took of the cakes for quality control reasons. 

So, today I ate 40 points of food, using my daily 37 points and 3 of my weekly allowance.  This leaves me with 42 points for the rest of my week.

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment